March 1, 2018
With the weather still warm, it’s hard to believe Autumn has already landed. If you made a resolution to be healthier in 2018, here are some tips to stay on track as it gets cooler.
- Cook meals in bulk. The cooler months are perfect for having ready-made meals which can be easily taken from the freezer and reheated. Try making batches of vegetable and lentil-based soups or casseroles. It’s a perfect time to get out the slow cooker.
- Use warming ingredients to flavour dishes. Foods such as chilli, ginger and cayenne pepper provide a health boost, as well as the feeling of warmth and comfort.
- Get creative with vegetables. Replace cream-based pasta or rice dishes with zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice. Vegetables are nutrient rich and high in fibre.
- Add some extra fibre. A fibre-rich breakfast such as whole oat porridge with LSA and fresh seasonal fruit is yummy in Autumn. LSA is a flax seed, sunflower seed and almond mixture and is available at most supermarkets.
- Reduce your salt intake. Warming and comforting foods can be laden with salt which can certainly make them moreish. If you can’t cook a meal yourself and watch the salt quota, look for salt-reduced meals or items at the supermarket. Healthy salt substitutes include sea vegetables, sea salt, and miso sauce.